Re: [MiNT] RPM --> cpio --> TGZ

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Katherine Ellis wrote:

> The whole world is pretty much using RPM by convenience.
> Want to go back to tgz?  who's up to maintain user inconsistencies with
> tgz, should I put this bin in /usr/local/bin or /opt/package/bin ?
> RPM is a good way to consolidate distributions, a coherant system.

This is true (though I much prefer .DEB packages), I am not saying RPM
doesn't have it's place.  On the other hand, when I just want to install
some trivial thing like "Sudo", _without_ buying into RPM it is a pain to
have dependency problems, etc., just to get the thing installed.  I do
agree it has it's value, especially long term, however, to me, right now,
it's a lot more trouble than it's worth.  It appears I am not the only one
to think this way, as I wasn't the first one to mention it this month.

I plan to upgrade to debian MiNT when it becomes more usable, so I am not
willing to bit the bullet to set up everything the way RPM wants it, when
I will switch anyhow.

Again, I am not trying to start any fights ;)  Just help provide what
people want.  I just offered the files since I will be making them anyhow.

Thanks,
   Noah Silva