[MiNT] 30 chars limit for filenames?

Hi everybody,

I give up trying to use the memory protection... but here I come with another
silly nasty problem.

When I upgrade all my RPM lately, I discovered something really strange...
weird... and totally crazy.

I put that ton of RPM in one folder and type:

$ rpm -Uv *

Everybody agrees, it shoud install all RPM of my folder.

Well, it didn't for me. In fact, very few of them got installed.

The reason: The names were too long! Although ext2 supports up to 255 chars for
a filename, no RPM with a name longer than exactly 30 chars was found and
installed!

What is silly is that "ls" shows all RPM... but it's the only one to see files
with a name longer than 30 chars. Nothing else works.

TAB completion in bash fails. Using a joker in a filename fails (even with
"ls"). Only giving a full name as parameter works.

I made a lot of tests that allowed me to find that the limit is on 30 chars. Up
to 30, everything works... 31 and everything fails. I made my tests several
times and it works... fails every time.

So what?

I know I have mixed Minix and Ext2 partitions. Minix partitions are limited to
30 chars. Is it only a coincidence... or some kind of bug?

And yes, I know, I'm coming with another unbelievable problem...  ;-)

See you,

Remi Villatel
maxilys@normandnet.fr