Re: [MiNT] Shutdown and CT60

>> "Not maintained"? I.e. not updated, I suppose? For now I don't see what
>> can be changed in it, and, since I wrote to you not so long time ago,
>> until autumn I won't be able to do any serious works for MiNT
>> (*including* libraries) due to lack of time. So how do you want me to
>> "maintain" it?
>
> You see, this very small tools are so easy to understand that only you are
> capable of maintaining it (gemma slb have 126 source files).

And which of these files need update?

>>> it's not working due to a bug with
>>> memory protection,
>>
>> This is not the fault of the lib, this is MiNT's fault, and this is MiNT
>> which should be fixed.
>
> And it's still not fixed (if I remember correctly you introduced this
> bug).

Maybe. But I don't have time to fix for now (or you don't understand
English?).

> It's much more complex and so the failure rate is higher. To correectly
> use it you need the slb, you need the right version of the slb and the slb
> must be in the right place (not to speak if there are several slbs in
> several places). On the other side everybody can start a simple program
> and there is no error possible at all.
>
>>> And finally it's nonsense for
>>> such a very small program like shutdown.
>>
>> Aha, "nonsense for a small program". The program certainly will become
>> "big", when you link it statically.
>
> What do you understand under 'big'? It don't matter at all if a tool like
> shutdown that you only run if you want to reboot/halt need 20kb or 50kb
> RAM. There are other things that are much more important: easy
> maintaining, easy sourcecode, standard library usage (e.g. MiNTLib and
> GEMLIB).
>
> Btw. the program itself is smaller, but the slb must still be loaded. So
> the general memory consumption is the same.
>
> It's just the question what do you prefer. A static program is much more
> robust as a program with slb dependency. I prefer the robustness. You want
> to save some kb of the binary size. And I'm sure that a more robust
> shutdown produce less questions from FreeMiNT users.

So write own shutdown program, remove the slb from the CVS repository and
stop complaining finally.

--?
CVV
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz, http://draco.atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est, aut seruit humiliter, aut superbe dominatur.
** Taka to już natura pospólstwa, albo służalczo się płaszczy,
** albo bezczelnie się panoszy. (T. Liuius XXIV, 25).