Re: [MiNT] Shutdown() discussion

Hi,

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Frank Naumann wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I don't understand this discussion at all. I don't followed all postings
> in detail, especially the parts there it's getting personally.
>
> >From my OS design point:
>
>   Personally I think a much better design is to provide something like
>   a special hardware, e.g. some addresses that are mapped into the I/O
>   area and are used like a piece of hardware for poweroff, calling
>   host system functions and such stuff.

  For a standard CPU emulation yes, but not for JIT compiler. The standard
way, how to detect access to HW memory space, is to set this space as
inaccessible. When m68k code access this space, segfault is generated and
handling of segfault is soooooooooo slow :-(
  x86 is much better for this, ports vs. memory, different instructions.

> Ciao
>    ...Frank

Best regards,

          Milan Jurik