Re: [MiNT] State of the Union

Frank Naumann wrote:
Hello Howard!

Nice to hear from you.

Hello again. Nice to see that new things are still happening in the kernel.

Ah, I see. Personally I wanted to go into the kqueue() direction as introduced and used by the BSD systems. This solution looks very easy to use and is extremly flexible and extensible. It's basically a filedescriptor and you add a list of events (determined by id and a filter) you want to wait for.

See this message
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200411/msg00088.html

kqueue has some other performance limitations as well. The scheme I outline in the above link addresses all of those shortcomings.

Yes, very interesting ideas. Ok, we aggree that kqueue() is a good direction :-) But we need also to have in mind that for FreeMiNT we don't need to optimize our interface to handle several thousand open files efficiently. I would rather optimize it for small memory consumption as I don't think we have such heavy server applications in the next time.

I understand. (But I'm still writing a separate reply to Evan's points.)

--
  -- Howard Chu