Re: [MiNT] [Fwd: Re: Keyboard mapping on Milan with mint 1.16.2]

Maurits van de Kamp píše v St 11. 10. 2006 v 23:41 +0200:
> > The name seems to indicate that it is a clock.
> > Other features could be implemented in another tool instead of
> > bundling X amount of features that are not required in this "clock"
>
> It was written like 15 years ago so it's a bit late to discuss how it
> should be done. :o) If I remember correctly, the whole idea was to
> bundle all those little missing utils into one autofolder prg to save
> memory, back when that was precious.

Main reason was actually to hook only once on the interrupt vectors. If
you have several utilities they all have to hook on usually the same
vectors. Then you get the infamous XBRA chains, suddenly things work
only when programs are loaded in certain order etc. etc. Also the more
TSR the bigger chance something goes wrong, superstack overflows or god
knows what.

Another thing is that Clocky is fully driven by hotkeys. You can
enable/disable _all_ features by simple (and editable) hotkeys. If I had
a bunch of utilities I would have to implement the same keyboard vector
hook and routine in all of them.

BTW, when I realized the power of the hotkeys I even exported them to
other programs - see EHC and for example Taskbar - one of first Clocky
hotkey client.

Since it's written in pure assembler and is so small I don't think you
mind that it's packed with so many features - you can disable them all
if you wish.

Petr