Re: [MiNT] MiNTLib for ColdFire

Petr Stehlik wrote:
If there are to be binaries compiled for ColdFire then I'd suggest to
add some CPU checking code into the crt.S to detect when it's not
running on a CF compatible processor and halt in such case. I think that
ColdFire is not compatible with m68k so it would be unfortunate if m68k
people would try running ColdFire code.

I totally agree.
That kind of message already exists when trying to run 68030 binaries on 68000, but if I remember well it is broken in the MiNTLib :-(

If there is going to be a specific version of libraries, manually
adjusted assembler code and GCC compiling new binaries for the specific
target then I don't get why bothering with overpriced ColdFire boards
when you can get magniture faster computers based on VIA or AMD
processors, get them cheaper and get them now.

Yes, buying such hardware is a paradox, but be sure that a lot of mad people will buy it ;-)

Then that people will enjoy faster binaries if they are available. For example, Gentoo people absolutely want binaries fully optimized for they own hardware, even if it takes hours to recompile. A lot of mad geeks are minded in that way ;-)

More seriously, most Atari people just want to use their old binaries on any new hardware (or emulators). The priority for the new ACP computer is to be compatible with existing 680x0 computers as much as possible.

--
Vincent Rivière