Re: [MiNT] New include/mint/sysbind.h

On May 29, 2009, at 7:33 AM, Frank Naumann wrote:

About the monolithic sysbind.h, it annoys me that if I want to write pure TOS software, I include only <osbind.h>, then I will get the MiNT system calls, too. So I could use dependencies to MiNT without knowing it. Same thing about Metados, etc.

I think the Metados and Falcon syscalls can be detected easily by name. Beside from that I don't think you can clearly separate the namespace between TOS and FreeMiNT. What about MagiC? Finally you end up including mintbind.h too.

MiNT should really be seen as today's TOS, so if you want to stay compatible with plain TOS, the same rules apply as with any other background compatibility: Just check every syscall you use. ;)

Besides, anybody who uses plain TOS and still wants to run programs written in 2009, shouldn't be afraid to just put MiNT in the autofolder and run ROM-GEM. IIRC it costs only a few hundred K of ram, A small price to pay for running software that was written 2 decades after your OS. ;) And I don't think anyone with an 1MB ST is interested in new software, just old games and new demos (and they don't usually use sysbind.h). :)

Maurits.