Re: [MiNT] QED

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Mark Duckworth
<mduckworth@atari-source.org> wrote:
> On 1/7/10 5:59 PM, Henk Robbers wrote:
>>
>> I like it small and simple as it is now.
>> AHCC is primarily written for my own pleasure.
>> If 1 or 2 of you like it as it is, I am happy.
>> This means that I will be the only maintainer of AHCC as long
>> as I want to work on it.
>>
>> My advice for a modern powerfull IDE is to build a graphical
>> interface around Bash and Make. Such a system could run GCC
>> as well as the AHCC compiler proper (AHCC_T.TTP) and linker
>> (AHCL.TTP) as they are. If you would like to benefit from the
>> help database, you can run AHHC_P.TTP with option -h.
>>
> My personal opinion aligns with Henk's.  AHCC is pretty much perfect for low
> end machines.  Making it work to build freemint and other stuff is great and
> this is a good compiler/dev environment for low end machines.  The
> environment I am talking about creating will be very heavy weight.  AHCC is
> so fast, I feel like I'd destroy it if I touched it.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Really I dont think there is a need to touch AHCC in order to achieve
an IDE, remembering that a good IDE should be allowed to change its
compiler and linker. At the moment we are basically only referring to
C code (maybe C++ by default), but any good IDE should not be
restricted in what language it can use

I was of a mind to provide a different front edit for AHCC's compiler
and linker, simply because the GEM part is not in line with the way I
do things, not that I believe it is bad, it is an interface usability
thing, and I have often found a lot of GEM apps to be quirky in this
respect.

However anything I would build, would allow others to apply the same
drastic changes to the GUI in order to achieve usability by another
set of interface users

As far as using QED goes, is it not possible to build a full IDE that
can either lay over QED, or can used QED core as the editor (loading
it as a separate module).

A note to Benjamin, regarding Radix SVN client, the creator (porter)
of that has already stated (elsewher) that it was used for a 12 month
period during development of at least 2 projects, and no problems were
found.

I suggest that if people are unsure about a piece of software they
test it first, as most of us have access to ARAnyM, and some can use
real hardware to do clean testing.

Although there may not be a current RPM, there are already plans for
and updated set of packages for SpareMiNT compiled using GCC 4.2.2 (I
think it was that version), and I believe an SVN package would be part
or that update, although it my not be available straight away, it may
also be bumped up concerning the need for SVN (and similar, as posted
else where)

This is actually one of those thing that needs to be listed somewhere,
a list of usable dev apps, collected or link around the net, and
preferably also supplied as a pre-setup drop-in dev environment for
various setup (EasyMiNT, AFROS, etc). It may prove practical to
provide a set of gcc 3.3.6 for native use.

I have already started some of this work, and I also understand many
people have there own preferred IDE-like setups, so providing and
testing, with quick start documentation, for the extra things they may
be missing, like an SVN client, and possibly a drag and drop control
panel app, along with the relevant desktop version of said process
(like groups)

As part of FuDE for AFROS, I was to be compiling a list and testing
dev apps, with the idea of creating a drop-in system for AFROS. The
scripts of which can already recognise EasyMiNT and Pack 3D. The pack
is supplied with already setup configurations for various systems
(read system paths)

The list of dev apps, along with a list of OS apps that are available
in source form, are to be part of the development related section of
the new Wiki, including links to documentation, downloads, and
possibly versions (where applicable)

I was also of the mind to port a rapid dev app tuned to GEM and
multi-tasking, not exclusively for MiNT tho, as there are still plenty
of Magic users, and a few Geneva users. This implys a point and click,
drag and drop approach to building apps, and so should be seen as an
alternative (or suppliment) to any IDE initiative.

Cheers

Paul