Re: [MiNT] Svar:Re: HRD's & RSC's

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Arnaud BERCEGEAY
<arnaud.bercegeay@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Paul Wratt a écrit :
>>
>> so an xml definition of a resource file would compliment the code that
>> builds and dynamically adjusts the forms? And at the moment it is
>> probably only missing the xml loader due to no xml definition..
>
> Hum... almost.
>
> With today RSC editor, the RSC file comes with a header file (*.H) with a
> lot of defines inside, so that the application could identify some objects
> once the RSC file is loaded by the AES.
>
> With "xml" format, the pb is still there. The application will need to
> identify objects once the XML file will be loaded by the xml loader. The
> "id" of the object could be store in the xml file.
>
> So the process may be :
>
> source:
> XML file (this is the source file in CVS)
>
> tool:
> XML2RSC.TTP (based on DFRM)
>
> output of the tool:
> RSC file
> header file (.H)
>
> Or the XML file could be directly read by the application (step XML2RSC is
> not needed) if the application embedded DFRM with XML loader.
>

>> Is DFRM restricted to dialog forms only. I see covers Menus too. Also
>
> Both Form and menu.
>
> Maybe DFRM support IMG, ICON and CICON, but i'm not sure.
> I remember this was a question when we discuss about xml version of RSC. One
> of the solution is to provide images and icons on JPEG or PNG files, and to
> let the "xml loader" to load JPEG/PNG and transform them to MFDB for the
> screen, ready to use in forms (in this case, the "xml loader" is much more
> than a simple xml loader).
>
>> see you can build large objects structures (eg sliders). Can it be
>> used to define new widgets?
>
> Yes.
>
> It also support userdef IIRC.
>
>> I actually had the documentation for this, but had obviously not read
>> it yet, although I have read other windom docs. Is there any way to
>> get those extra example tuts added.
>
> You can find some source code as example. For example teatime:
> http://pagesperso-orange.fr/arnaud.bercegeay/teatime_e.htm
>
> BTW, it's open source. Feel free to contribute ;)
>

> Arnaud.

thanks :)

I have placed a mockup of an example XML resource file here:
http://paulwratt.110mb.com/atarist/TO5/resource-xml-1.html

The preliminary XML resource file definition can be found here:
http://paulwratt.110mb.com/atarist/TO5/resource-xml.html

I chose the resource info as used in the Windom2 DFRM tutorial #1:
http://windom.free.fr/dfrm/tutorial/tut1/tut_1.html

simply because it shows the use of the xml resource file format when
used to generate resource data, besides the standard .RSC in binary
format.

I think the header pretty much covers most eventualities, in a
preliminary sense, with the created and modified maybe allowing for
modification history.

Note that the header also contains specific arguments to reconstruct
.RSC of a particular type, like Interface .RSC.

It is only a preliminary outline, but you have to start somewhere, so
here it is, the start..

Another note, currently ignore the XSLT at the end of the pages, as
until the Object Tree (objtree) object definition is a bit better
defined, and the idea of an xml/xslt resource editor starts to take
shape, I have not been able to explicitly show the exaples required.

As a side benefit to using XML and XSLT as a basis for resource
construction, with the use of so many cross-compiling dev
environments, local OS XML+XSLT rendering tools can be used even
before there is a compiler or native dev tool is available, which may
boost demand for the compiler..

Paul