Re: [MiNT] mono

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:
> Standa Opichal wrote:
>
>> I know it is probably not the thing what most people here would want to
>> hear but IMO
>> it would be less time consuming to port FreeMiNT/TOS APIs, VDI and AES
>> on top of the
>> current NetBSD/FreeBSD codebase then trying to implement the necessary
>> functionality
>> into the FreeMiNT kernel itself. We could nicely call it e.g.
>> Mint(Free|Net)BSD! :)
>
> Sounds like the perfect way of getting rid of me ;-) I would stop
> working on Ataris if something like this happened. I'm already using
> Linux, I don't need to run the same software on my Ataris. It would also

Jo, I seem to remember you saying something similar about unix/linux,
be careful someone doesn't hold you to your word :)

> exclude everyone using legacy hardware, as no real Atari is powerful
> enough to run NetBSD at a decent speed.

There are some, and there will be with the ACP, besides the same could
theoretically be said for GentooMiNT and some SpareMiNT setups

> We got to think about where we're headed. Is the ultimate goal of
> FreeMiNT that it should mimic unix as closely as possible? I'm not very

"mimic unix" no, but to supply near 100% posix/linux complience, that
means MiNT stays in the "modern" end of the boat, and that in itself
means continually evolving

> interested in unix stuff, I just want to create and use GEM-applications
> in a stable, multitasking environment. I'd rather see time and effort
> spent on the GEM-part than being able to run the same programs as I use
> on my Linux-box (but slower).
>
> Jo Even

I think that 99% of Atari ST GEM/Mint users stick with it because
relatively speaking, it is lite and fast, and lets face it, unless
there are ports, no one is ever going to do apps in the same way they
are created for other OS's, although zView pushes that limit (amongst
others) I would consider that an essential "modern" app, and one that
inspires me to push that boundary also.

Paul