Re: [MiNT] mono

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:
> Paul Wratt wrote:
>
>> What I would like to see (do) is Freemint kernel compile for x86 based
>> machines. GEM is designed to run at source level on either
>> achitecture, with motorola/intel formats built into various parts of
>
> One of Ozk's goals is to separate all hardware-specific code into
> separate modules/files. This is the first step towards porting FreeMiNT
> to other CPUs. I know Ozk had PPC in mind but there is no reason why x86
> couldn't be used.
>
> Jo Even

now that what I like to hear, and yeah I do remember some push in MiNT
development for a PPC quite some years ago..

.. I noticed recently that G5 Dual 2.5Ghz are available for less than $200AU

I dont want to see MiNT/GEM suffer the same bloat most OS's have
recently gone through, but it would be nice to develop apps and games
running faster than you could double click. Those MiNT ports of 3D
engines running respectably at 30Hz if with small screen areas, why
wouldn't you want to run it at 1600x1024 on a 2.5GHz cpu, I'd never
use an Intel based CPU again, help you could play the game while
porting open source games (an game engines) in the background :)

well thats what I aspire to at the moment, but still I want any
software I develop to be able to run on "my old 4Mb STe" with all
fluff options tuned off...

Paul