Re: [MiNT] Installing on a MegaSTE

Am 15.01.2010, 07:07 Uhr, schrieb Paul Wratt <paul.wratt@gmail.com>:

the ST_ONLY binaries will be smaller, I can say by how much, but the

Does it run? I never compiled ST_ONLY.

memory usage will be down because it does not use textures anywhere.
An ST_ONLY build running in mono might be the smallest possible
configuration as far as memory goes

So for TT-High for exsample there would be no visuable difference between ST_ONLY and normal?

if you get that XaAES extended texture patch applied to ALL the repos,
or to main trunk, then I can modify the Gradients patch to allow total
removal of any non-essential graphics stuff

This would save a lot of memory usage and a small amount(?) of binary usage.

Sounds interesting.

As far as code usage, and memory usage because of that, I had already
looked at being able to turn off (even not compile) with the 3D
drawings, and with the possibly replacing the widget resources, using
plain/traditional chars instead, you end up with a traditional GEM
interface, allowing for XaAES to run in (or be compiled into) Lite
mode.

Theoretically with the above combined, a XaAES Lite could use as
little as 200Kb..

I thought this would consume a lot, so let's start to do this (once I've verified the VDI-calls).

I compared memory-usage of gcc4-compiled XaAES with gcc-2-compiled: The gcc4-version needs ~30kb more after startup. I think the same goes for MiNT.

--
Helmut Karlowski