Re: [MiNT] cookie jar

29 sep 2010 kl. 22.22 skrev Peter Slegg:
> There is no shame in having bugs in code but people are too keen to
> blame 10 year old apps that work fine on 6 versions of TOS, 6 versions
> of Magic and dozens of versions of Mint.

I quote you: "What actually manages the cookie jar ? Is it the kernel or AES? Where is this error alert coming from ?"

If you don't know this already, who are you to make assumptions about this stuff?

The cookie jar is managed by every single application that touches it. That's what Atari gave us. It's a really crappy solution. This means every single app that use the cookie jar can potentially screw it up. And it's been known to happen. For example, when the cookie jar is full, applications are required to make a new larger one. Isn't it possible, or even plausible, that some application fails when it's faced with this particular scenario? It also means the problem only manifests itself under certain conditions.

So the logical thing is that you disable stuff and see what happens. Find the conditions required to reproduce the problem.

And again, a bug can definitely manifest itself even though it hasn't done so for 6 versions of TOS, 6 versions of Magic, and dozens of versions of Mint.

> Who complained ?  Once again I repeat, I reported an issue and asked
> if anyone had seen anything like it.

Then you were given some good advice as to how to approach the problem.

-- PeP