Re: [MiNT] Update program for MiNT packages.

Am Di, 23.11.2010, 19:16 schrieb Mark Duckworth:

>> a. Is there a need for this program or is something else in the works?
>> b. What kind of format will be selected for the mint packages and how
>> can data about what's new or available be gathered from the atari side?
> You may want to check out and join development on sparemint update
> manager http://sparemint.atari-source.org:8000/sum.php  I haven't looked
> at it in quite some time but it was able to talk to my server php that
> would get new packages uploaded and would resolve deps and install
> packages with a pretty gem interface.  Looking back, the code is a bit
> rough.  Needs a lot of improvement.  I plan to hit on all my atari stuff
> this winter and make it much better.

I also thought about such an tool,
my way to do it would be (simplified...):

- grab the package list html from the sparemint page (only on user
request, to keep traffic low...).
- parse the packages and their versions within the html package list. This
should be "straight forward", the html list is very simple html.
- if there is an new version and you already have an older version you are
able to update the package
- otherwise you are able to install the package

I would do the networking with tools like wget / curl, or maybe I would
use libcurl directly within my code... but invoking an cmdline tool would
be a lot less code - but memory usage would be a bit higher...

--
Greets,