Re: [MiNT] Idea for boot sequence

on 12/15/10 10:24 AM, Peter Slegg wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:09:20 -0500, Lonny Pursell <atari@bright.net> wrote:
>>
>> on 12/15/10 8:49 AM, Peter Slegg wrote:
>>
>>> The problem with the current system is if the correct folder is not
>>> there the it won't boot. There is no Mint fallback.
>>
>> Not true. In fact that is my fallback.
>>
>> Example lets say my \mint\1-16-cur gets hosed somehow.
>> I rename \mint\1-16-cur to \mint\1-16-cuX  <- note the X
>> Now the kernel won't find it.  I then reboot select a kernel that I know has
>> no corresponding 1-xx-x folder and thus mint loads everything from just
>> \mint as it did in the old days. That is the fallback.  If you removed all
>> the files in \mint, then yes its not going to boot correctly.
>>
>> In my case this causes me to boot NAES.
>>

> That would work but it is only doing what I am suggesting but the hard way.
>
> Wouldn't it be a lot easier and more intuitive to be able to do this without
> having to reboot in TOS, rename folders, reboot, rename folders back again,
> before fixing the problem.
>
> With a simple boot folder selector it would just be one reboot before fixing
> the
> problem.

Its not that hard.  Anyway I've been fighting with SLBPATH, maybe rebooted
20 sometimes and it still don't work, but it finds them in \mint for
whatever reason.  Someone going to make me a tool to solve this?  No.  I
don't think you will get anyone to change the current boot method.  I can't
remember the last time I hosed my boot sequence.  Hose your boot sequence,
pay the price, that's how I see it.  :)

--
Lonny Pursell    http://www.bright.net/~gfabasic/