Re: [MiNT] [Mint-cvs] [FreeMiNT CVS] freemint/sys

Hi,

On keskiviikko 18 helmikuu 2015, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
> On ti., 2015-02-17 at 22:39 +0000, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
> > > What's the problem with hatari and FAT XFS ? Can we fix hatari ?
> >
> > That would be even better. I don't know anymore, I think it has
> > something to do with XHDI.
>
> The problem is that Hatari's emulated GEMDOS drives hooks into TOS. So
> when MiNT does not use TOS FS, it can't access these "drives" (native
> folders).
>
> It's the same problem as with ARAnyM. But in ARAnyM it has been solved
> with proper filesystem drivers (xfs and MetaDOS drivers). IMO it should
> be solved like this in Hatari too. I think it's wrong to keep the
> obsolete TOSFS in MiNT just to keep an emulator happy.

There were couple of mails about this few years ago on hatari-devel, but
TOS hooks are needed for all other programs and adding specific file system
functionality just for MiNT hasn't been priority for anybody yet.

Is the NatFeats file system API required for this even documented?

Btw. This is mainly a loss for MiNT developers.  There are features in
Hatari that are useful getting most out of one's code: accurate emulation
with low level debugging/tracing support, profiling with callgraphs etc.
http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/raw-
file/tip/doc/manual.html#Profiling
http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/raw-
file/tip/doc/images/callgraph.png

(Even more so if one's doing both 68k & DSP code, like Douglas Little is
with his Quake II port for unmodified Falcon.)

	- Eero

PS. Now that fast RAM and complete 030 MMU support have been added
to Hatari, m68k Linux is becoming interesting use-case for Hatari. :-)