RE: MiNTlib bugs (well, possible bugs)

> According to stat.h, S_IFLNK is 0xE000 (well, it's listed as Octal 0160000;
> why octal?!?).  According to my local SysVr4 box, S_IFLNK is 0xA000.
> According to the symlinks contained in some zip files (including the test
> file I was using to test symlinks and weird filenames under minixfs),
> a symlink is 0xA000.

> Is this a kluge around some GEMDOSfs "feature" or have a found an "oops"
> in the MiNTlibs?  This is true as of pl.41 and pl.39.

	there is absolutely no guarantee that the VALUE of symbolic
constants in header files (like S_IFLNK in stat.h) across systems will
be the same. if your file format depends on the binary value of some
symbolic constant being portable across systems, it should be
re-examine this assumption.

	in fact, the current posix standard does not even define
S_ISLNK() (but i think posix-92 was supposed to approve it).

	what do you have against octal?

cheers,
--
bang:   uunet!cadence!bammi			jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@cadence.com