Re: fs information

>Problem: for a library, I need a way to inquire the block device associated
>with a certain filesystem. Example: input: u:\cdrom, output: u:\dev\scd5.
>This is needed so that an application can have the user select a folder
>and then access the (block device) audio commands of the associated
>CD ROM drive.
>
>One solution would be to have a Dcntl opcode which returns just that.
>In addition, it could/should return information similar to getmntent()
>in SunOS (file system type and so on...). Besides, there should really
>be a better way to get a list of mounted filesystems than reading the
>entries from U:`s root.

I absolutely agree with this.  I'm currently writing a replacement desktop
where U: is the desktop and at the moment things are just a bit messy for
my liking.  I currently treat all folders in U: that aren't symlinks as
drives and get the device number from an Fxattr call for future reference.

A clean way to get all 'real' filesystems (i.e. not psuedodrives) giving
their device number, file system type and their root path would be great.

Here's hoping...

Steve.

Steve Sowerby, Ph.D. Student, Computational Geometry Project,
School of Information Systems, University of East Anglia, Norwich.
EMAIL : sms@sys.uea.ac.uk
POST:Steve Sowerby, P/G Student, SYS, UEA, Norwich NR4 7TJ, England