RE: GCC 2.5.8

jwahar r. bammi writes:
> > Has anyone found any problems with GCC 2.5.8?  Does it produce 68K (ie non-
> > 030 executables)?  Will it accept long filenames?  <<the version on a.a.u.e
> > seems to be for TOS, not MiNT>>  Does it have Objective C support?
>
> 	no (major) problems reported in gcc 2.5.8. it does produce
> pure 68000 code, it always did! (yes there was a small bug in a very
> specialized case in 2.5.7 thats fixed).

 specialized enough that it crashed every g++ run for example... (sorry ;)

> 	long filenames: yes it does. in the TOS version set UNIXMODE
> as appro.

 i.e. UNIXMODE=/cu  (right?)

> > Anyone know when the next version of MultiTOS is due out?
> 	i would'nt loose sleep over it. which reminds me ...
>
> does anyone else get the distinct impression that MiNT is getting a
> real bad reputation as being a dog becase of MultiTOS.

 oh yes...

>  i got an
> unsolicited copy of the local north attleboro atari users group
> newsletter, where the main feature at this months meeting was a geneva
> demo. one of the big seeling points of geneva according to the
> newletter is that it is not a dog like MultiTOS. in the accompanying
> article, the author who reviews geneva offers this explaination as the
> main reason -- "Geneva uses ccoperative multitasking. This is the
> method used by MAC's system 7 and MSDOS Windows. .... MultiTOS is a
> pre-emtive multitasking. It severly controls each application's access
> to the CPU ......" [more nonsense deleted].
>
> maybe multiTOS is a dog, i dunno, never used it.

 at least the last beta no longer seems to always eat all cycles it can
get hold of like every pre-MiNT GEM version does.  (and so the most time
i have GEM running its in state `stop' and i'm on another terminal...)

>  but MiNT itself, as we
> all know is very acceptable (i use it with a shell usually,
> and/or with toswin sometimes).

 metoo, mostly with virtual consoles and minixfs.  and for example
_i_ haven't yet seen a news system on TOS thats as fast at processing
articles and expiring as good ol' :) cnews-xt on MiNT + minixfs.
maybe multiTOS is a dog and GEMDOS sure is one but MiNT?  never.

> i leave you with another amusing quote from the same article
>
> "Atari was so impressed with Eric Smith, the author of MultiTos, that
> they hired him. Given the performance of Geneva versus MultiTos, they
> should sign over the company to Dan Wilga, the author of Geneva".

 if you read german just take the maus. newsgroups, they are full of
these jokes...  and everytime someone says mint is not crap and mag!x
is not the best thing since slice bread he gets flamed to hell. :)

 well what can you do, there are also enough pc users who think their
wind*ws is better than unix...

 cheers
	Juergen
--