Re: MiNTOS Release 1.4 now available.

>>	For some unknown reason the QUIT character is set to ^U rather than
>>		^\ after you log in. I still haven't been able to track down
>>		how this is happening, I've put a hack in the sample [t]csh
>>		startup files in "/etc" to get around this.
>
>getty is what's setting the QUIT char.  It also sets erase to DEL
>instead of ^H.  I'd say that if those are really the BSD defaults we
>should leave them alone and just do what you did:  use stty to set the
>desired terminal parameters at login, using the startup files.

Hmm.. I'd set up getty so as to set QUIT to ^\, so it shouldn't be that, oh
well more debugging.

>>Well, I hope to incorporate more of MiNT-net and re-add the networking code to
>>syslog now MiNT-net supports TCP as well as UDP packets.  I'm also going to
>>replace last and finger with the Berkeley ones.  Oh, I'm also going to fix
>>some more bugs! (init itself needs some looking at.)
>
>Sounds good to me.  By the way, lots of portlib is going to be showing
>up in the mintlib in a mutated form, and hopefully portlib will no
>longer be needed at some point.  So you probably don't want to
>integrate it too tightly into your libusers library or we're going to
>have a problem with symbol conflicts.
>
>I've even started rewriting parts of libusers for the mintlibs, since
>public domain versions of those functions would make a nice addition
>to the library.  So perhaps libusers will one day be irrelevant as
>well.  It's probably best to have one library that provides as much
>UNIX compatibility as possible (which is the whole point of the
>mintlibs in the first place...)

I've been hoping for libusers' routines to be incorporated into the
MiNTlibs, if you read the MiNTOS docs it suggests such a move. If you're
integrating them into the MiNTlibs please take a look at the versions in
MiNTOS 1.4 as not only are there more of them, some have been debugged.

>Cheers,
>entropy
>
>--
>entropy -- it's not just a good idea, it's the second law.
>Personal mail:      entropy@gnu.ai.mit.edu
>MiNT library mail:  entropy@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu
>"what do you have against octal?" -jrb

By the way, on the problem with tcsh and MiNTlibs, not only compiling tcsh
with recent MiNTlibs gives the stopped message when using pipes, so does
compiling ANY shell. I've no time to trace this at the moment as I'm back at
work and have a few things from MiNTOS 1.4 to look into (MiNTOS 1.4.1 may be
out soon).

Steve

Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).
Tel:- Oxford (0865) 282110 (UK) or +44 865 282110 (International).