Re: Advice on MiNT1.12 problems

> I have just switched to MiNTNet 0.7 and I am having problems with SLIP
> connections.

I assume you used earlier MintNet versions (0.6, 0.56?) without such problems?
Then try using the slattach from MintNet 0.6 and tell me whether it helps.

Otherwise (ie did not work with earlier MintNet versions either) your setup
is somehow not ok. Read below.

> When I login to my service provider I can only access the
> machine that I connect to. Any other pings, ftps etc only get resolved
> through the modem and that's all - no data goes there. I try to use
> route to add a new host to the route table on sl0, it puts it on lo0
> instead - I assume that all other data is going to lo0 as a gateway too,
> but my gateway is definately on sl0.

You should have one route for the local address of each interface go over
lo0. All other routes should be attached to a 'real' interface, eg. sl0.

How does your routing table look like exactly?

Do you use dip or slattach to establish your connection? If you use dip, you
must tell it to add a default route to the rest of the world by saying

	defaultroute

somewhere in the script (or type it by hand when in interactive mode).
Otherwise you can indeed only access your direct SLIP remote host.
slattach does add this defaultroute by default.

> Also, dip doesn't seem to work with the modemdev cua0 device - it complains
> about lack of memory - which is clearly not the case as I have 2.4 megs free.

Strange, i'll take a look at this, but you better use a BIOS tty such as
/dev/modem1 and put hsmodem in your auto folder before Mint...

Kay.
--
Kay Roemer              roemer@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
"If I ever meet ..."    http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/~roemer/