Virtual Memory

Hi to all!

I would like to know whether someone is working on a implementation of a
virtual address space into MiNT. If no one does, I would try.
I looked up the memory managing code of MiNT, and there's a real good
basis for virtual memory. (Appreciating the work of Eric Smith and all
the others!)

It could start with asynchron running fork'ed processes. There have only
some procedures for setting the virtaddrs to be added, everything else is
already done by the memory protection code. And, of course, a new code
for fork().

Then we should continue with shared libraries. We have to choose a way of
accessing functions there. Does someone here know how this is done in
Windows-DLLs or Unix-Libs? Suggestions?

And finally, implement a real virtual memory manager. But we need
interrupt driven disc drivers for that. I think some people have
written such things, because I don't know how to write it (especially
the access of IDE-Discs).

I would also like to know who really _needs_ virtual memory or to whom it
would be useful... And who cannot use it, because he has only 68000's
running?

With best regards,
Stephan

|      Stephan Haslbeck	       |    Fachschaft Informatik    |
|       Agricolastr. 61	       |   Technische Universitaet   |
|      D-80686 Muenchen	       |      Muenchen, Bayern	     |
|          Es gibt keine Probleme, nur Loesungen.	     |