Re: Slip connection to Linux Box

I originally asked questions about:
(1)  Setting up serial connections to a Linux box
(2)  A weird problem with logging in as root from telnet/rlogin

Thanks to answers from a few people I've now got the connection working
properly, all except a problem when transferring large chunks of data
down the connection.

I have a feeling this is the infamous serial port bug, so I going to have
a look at hsmodem.  Can anyone tell me the best options to configure
hsmodem for an STE running MiNT??

As regards the second problem, people suggested that it was my
/etc/ttytab that was at fault.  I looked into this, and I couldn't figure
how I could change this to make the login work.

If I want to login in from a remote location, the connection will come
from ttya.  I haven't got a "getty std.19200" running on ttya, as I'm
running slattach.  My ttytab reads something like this for ttya:

ttya	/usr/sbin/getty std.19200	dialup		off secure

i.e.  The tty is turned off, as it would conflict with the slattach-type
commands running at each end of the link.

How can I make a connection from ttya "secure" so that I can log on as root?

Thanks for the help...

John

John Beranek                             \  ()  () . -- .
Third Year                              /   o o '        `
Computer Systems Engineer                \   | / ./ -- . / `.`.
University of Kent                       /   '  ='     </    `--'