Re: Making MiNTOS the underlying Atari Operating System

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Claus Brod wrote:

<Peter Ross>
> > The beauty of it is
> > that Atari had nothing to do with MiNT-X or the later versions of MiNT.  It
> > was     totally from the hands and minds of users like me and you.  Hackers!
>
> The same is true for MagiC.

It is true that Atari had nothing to do with MagiC, and that
Magic is a fine program.  However, I think Peter's point was
that the MiNT "software suite", was the freely used/contributed
product of a community of users/programmers.  Now, I am not
expecting the MagiC developers to give it away, I'm just
pointing out the difference.

<advocacy mode on>

Atari users, with few exceptions, can only count on each other
for support.  In this situation, we are very fortunate to have
an almost complete rewrite of the operating system, available
with sources. Let's face it: even if it were deemed desirable,
no single commercial entity left in the Atari world has the
ability to take over the operating system, dictate universal
standards, provide commensurate support, and make money in the
process. In our situation, that is better left in the hands of
the users, and has served us well so far.

That is why, although I do not entirely share Peter's optimism,
I agree that the MiNT suite is the best bet for the continued
development of GEM/TOS software. We do need continued volunteer
involvement of programmers; that is the main sticking point in
my view.

Having accomplished so much, and prolonged the desk life of many
atari computers by keeping the software relevant and
interesting, it would be a pity, should this effort now wane.

I'm not getting you down, am I? ;-)

<Advocacy mode off>

Anyhow... enough of this, and back to my cave.

Yves