Re: Preparing new distribution...

Maurits van de Kamp wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Robert Krenn wrote:
>
> > I always runned fsck from mint.cfg with the down part that it don't have
> > any fstab to look in, so I have to specify which filesystems to run fsck
> > on in the mint.cfg file.
>
> heh.. that's how I do it..:) Wow, I love feeling like a newbie and then
> seing that others come up with the same solutions I thought of myself..
> :)) Seriously, another disadvantage of this is that it doesn't stop if
> fsck failed to repair the filesystem (because of required user input).

Yes, that's not good.

> Maybe a nice idea for the new distribution is a proggy that calls fsck and
> does a little more:

init? :D

Well basicly if you put init and everything needed for startup on a
tos-fs, then fsck would work as it should. But that is not a very nice
way of doing it...

> - Only check under certain circumstances (configurable), like mint not
> being properly shutdown the last time, or every 5th boot, or every
> day/week/month

Hehe, I used something like this for a while :D

> - Use fstab :) (Ok this is just luxury, but then again, why not) :)

No it's not lyx... it's a very good idea, IMHO!

> - If fsck fails, give an explaining warning and start it again without the
> -p option. There is no need to reboot in "single mode" or reboot after the
> check, since this prog is started from mint.cnf, so no "couldn't sync or
> lock" probs. :)

> Ok the reaction to this is prolly "Ok, I think you should be the one to
> write it" :) (draco, I'll get to those docs if I find the time.. and
> understand enough of mint myself <g>)  - and I would have made this proggy
> already if I could get gnu c going.. so far I couldn't even do a "hello
> world" without errors, but then again my compiler is completely screwed up
> for some reason. :)
>
> > > The current documentation is very thorough, but still most of the manpages
> > > are only understandable if you already understood half of them, plus you
> > > have no idea where to start. Well a .hyp file on how to use man would be a
> > > nice start :)
> >
> > This is the general problem, find a person that is willing to write it
> > :D
>
> I might even do that.. pity that what I wrote above is my personal
> experience..:)))

He!

//Robert

--
- Robert Krenn                           http://www.daltekvision.se -
- tel 1: +46 (0)243 87858                   tel 2: +46 (0)243 73504 -