Re: Preparing new distribution...

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Robert Krenn wrote:

> > And also think of a way to run fsck at a more appropriate moment than is
> > happening in the current kgmd..:))
>
> I always runned fsck from mint.cfg with the down part that it don't have
> any fstab to look in, so I have to specify which filesystems to run fsck
> on in the mint.cfg file.

heh.. that's how I do it..:) Wow, I love feeling like a newbie and then
seing that others come up with the same solutions I thought of myself..
:)) Seriously, another disadvantage of this is that it doesn't stop if
fsck failed to repair the filesystem (because of required user input).

Maybe a nice idea for the new distribution is a proggy that calls fsck and
does a little more:

- Only check under certain circumstances (configurable), like mint not
being properly shutdown the last time, or every 5th boot, or every
day/week/month

- Use fstab :) (Ok this is just luxury, but then again, why not) :)

- If fsck fails, give an explaining warning and start it again without the
-p option. There is no need to reboot in "single mode" or reboot after the
check, since this prog is started from mint.cnf, so no "couldn't sync or
lock" probs. :)

Ok the reaction to this is prolly "Ok, I think you should be the one to
write it" :) (draco, I'll get to those docs if I find the time.. and
understand enough of mint myself <g>)  - and I would have made this proggy
already if I could get gnu c going.. so far I couldn't even do a "hello
world" without errors, but then again my compiler is completely screwed up
for some reason. :)

> > The current documentation is very thorough, but still most of the manpages
> > are only understandable if you already understood half of them, plus you
> > have no idea where to start. Well a .hyp file on how to use man would be a
> > nice start :)
>
> This is the general problem, find a person that is willing to write it
> :D

I might even do that.. pity that what I wrote above is my personal
experience..:)))

Maurits.

---

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

          Maurits van de Kamp (maurits@bassment.demon.nl)

    _____    B A S S M E N T   P R O D U C T I O N S     _____
  /     /\\     >> http://www.bassment.demon.nl <<     /     /\\
|      \/   |   / Black Currant                  \   |      \/   |
|   /\      |  |             bc@bassment.demon.nl |  |   /\      |
 \ /=/     /   |  Purple Trance                   |   \ /=/     /
  \\/____ /     \            pt@bassment.demon.nl/     \\/____ /