Re: more gcc/mintlib questions

 >Speaking of which, I spent an hour or so yesterday, updating the
 >most glaringly obsolete bits in the MiNTlib FAQ; I will post
 >that to my ftp site later today.
 >
 >ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ypell
 >
 >Also, unless there are objections, as of PL48 I will change the
 >naming convention to something like: c.a, c16.a, bc.a, ... ,
 >bc16020.a.  This appears necessary because people have to change
 >the names of the lib to make it work with newer gcc.  If I am
 >missing something, advice is welcome.

I was gonna ask about that. It appears libs change convention
over time, so right now I'm not sure what I'm using anymore.
Some came as *.A other as *.OLB and then GCC doesn't seem to
update itself (from 2.5.* to 2.7.*) to the right directory.

Also, Apache breaks the NCSA convention of using /var/httpd
as its root dir, which somewhat complicates upgrading... ;-/

Perhaps it might be a good idea to document changes in the
folder structure of filenaming in the README, and include
an Upgrade script in the Makefile that automatically moves
stuff around to follow the new structure? ;-)

***

Speaking of documenting stuff, it has been said often that one
of KGMD's weakness is a lack of proper docs. Two aspects:

1. explain which VCONS style DON'T work on what video hardware.
   This would have meant including the README from the latest
   TTYVDEV distribution.  Learning about VCONX through Kellis
   fixed part of my Stacy problems, but this would have been
   easier if it was documented in KGMD's "Installation Tips".

2. informing people that stuff in /var/db/kgmd will explicit them of
   stylistic choices made by Knarf. It's important both for newbies
   and Unix freaks; newbie will learn what's under the hood, freak
   will know if KGMD leans closer to Linux or BSD standards and be
   able to update/port utilities more quickly.

From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
Atari TT030 12/48 NVDI 4.11r0, MiNT 1.14.5, N.AES 1.1.0, GlueSTiK
 Unsollicited material will be proof-read for $100 USD per word,
 payable within 10 days.  Submission of your advertisement to my
 address constitutes your formal acceptance of these terms.
 <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>