Re: New Web browser for MiNT.

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> Odd Skanche is working on something like this, but I'm not sure how
> much he has done. The "problem" is that he wants to do everything in
> assembler, so it's a bit hard to contribute to this project.

I think this is a serious problemt. Seems like a lot of new MiNT coders
are old scene ppl who think everything should be coded in asm because it's
cool or something. Yes, you can optimize more intelligently in assembler
but seriously coding a browser completely in that is a mistake. Chances
are - if the browser is ever completed (which is slightly doubtful) -
nobody will ever bother developing the browser further if it's written in
asm. You can possibly optimize some critical parts like jpeg depacking and
stuff like that in asm, but parsing, network connections etc. should most
definitely be written in C. Also the structure should be clever enough so
that jpeg depacking happens through clean calls so that they can be easily
replaced with other asm code or if porting to another UNIX system,
replaced with some neat library calls.

         |    /     Kristoffer Lawson      |    www.fishpool.com
         +-> |    setok@fishpool.com       |  - - --+
             |-- Fishpool Creations Ltd - /         |