Re: New Web browser for MiNT.

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Maurits van de Kamp wrote:

> The thing is, he does some amazing things when he programs GEM in
> assembly, and I think assembly is our only hope for a browser that's
> really fast on humble 8 and 16 MHz ataris. Of course, CAB's slowness is
> due to inefficient programming and of course the single connection, but
> still displaying a GDOS text page with dithered images of all kinds of
> formats is a very processor-intensive task. And since GEM programs can't
> be ported to other systems anyway, I think I'd prefer an assembly one. :)

It's not just being able to port (although that WOULD be nice - if it's
well structured the GEM stuff can be easily changed to X calls), but more
that other people can easily continue the development of the program
if the original author decides not to continue. C code is a helluva lot
easier to continue to develop than a pile of asm..

         |    /     Kristoffer Lawson      |    www.fishpool.com
         +-> |    setok@fishpool.com       |  - - --+
             |-- Fishpool Creations Ltd - /         |