Re: New Web browser for MiNT.

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> Odd Skanche is working on something like this, but I'm not sure how
> much he has done.

Last time I asked him, he hadn't started yet. :)

> The "problem" is that he wants to do everything in
> assembler, so it's a bit hard to contribute to this project.

The thing is, he does some amazing things when he programs GEM in
assembly, and I think assembly is our only hope for a browser that's
really fast on humble 8 and 16 MHz ataris. Of course, CAB's slowness is
due to inefficient programming and of course the single connection, but
still displaying a GDOS text page with dithered images of all kinds of
formats is a very processor-intensive task. And since GEM programs can't
be ported to other systems anyway, I think I'd prefer an assembly one. :)

About contributing, the original plan was that Odd (or Ozk as we know him
on IRC <g>) was making the major part, using FS-dithering routines by the
guys from TOYS, and basing the parser on Lynx. This would give a very nice
result indeed if it ever finishes,

> Re. the socket-parts, that would probably be the easiest part :-) The
> parser shouldn't be too hard to write either, but things starts to get
> really tricky when it's time to render the result on the screen...

..which the poor fellow will be doing on his own..:) I do hope he makes it
and I would be happy to pay for such a program if it becomes what I expect
it to be. :)

Maurits.

---

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

          Maurits van de Kamp (maurits@bassment.demon.nl)

    _____    B A S S M E N T   P R O D U C T I O N S     _____
  /     /\\     >> http://www.bassment.demon.nl <<     /     /\\
|      \/   |   / Black Currant                  \   |      \/   |
|   /\      |  |             bc@bassment.demon.nl |  |   /\      |
 \ /=/     /   |  Purple Trance                   |   \ /=/     /
  \\/____ /     \            pt@bassment.demon.nl/     \\/____ /