Re: STiNG, CAB, and Multitasking (strike

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

>  >BTW.: A comparison to Windows is unfair by many respects ! MagiC is a
>  >rock-solid OS, and even more immune to shaky programs than MiNT !
>
> Q: Then why do almost EVERYONE on IRCnet #atari has a /QUIT message
> saying "MagiC ate my hard-drive" ? Certainly an rock-solid OS would
> not constantly destroy data, would it (unless you consider Windows
> as another rock-solid OS)?
>
> A: Because MagiC has a nice AES but a poor kernel that routinely
> dies in flaming glory and destroys data in the process. It's Fact.

I have to agree that MagiC is quite weak when something goes wrong,
most things that MiNT catches results in a general "ungultiges blah
blah" and a total crash. And I have experienced data-losses as well.

But I don't think that the datalosses are directly caused by the
kernel, in my case it usually was because the kernel crashed before
the writeback cache was flushed.  And I never learned...

/*
**
*/