Re: DOS partition

Hi Petr!

> Anyway, at last he used BigDOS together with MiNT (!) and succesfully
> transferred all files with LFN.

If he use the VFAT option then he use the NEWFATFS. In this case BigDOS
isn't used at all.

> I wanted to ask you - I thought NEWFAT was just like BigDOS in that it
> removed all limitations of GEMDOS. Or perhaps there are still some
> limits in BIOS?

Yes, there are no limits.

> Another question: I heard one would need latest HDDRIVER 7.6 to be able
> to read FAT32 compatible medias. Does it mean the TOS&DOS partition
> format is not needed anymore under MiNT and we can freely use DOS
> partitioned medias? Or perhaps HDDRIVER 7.6 features FAT32 TOS&DOS mode,
> I don't know.

TOS&DOS mode is dedicated to FAT16. FAT32 is possible with Atari
partition format (ID 'F32') or with DOS partition format (ID 0xb). For
data exchange you must use DOS partition format.

At the moment only HDDriver (since v7.55) can handle correct 0xb DOS
partitions. All other drivers ignore such partitions and doesn't allow
access through XHDI.

FAT16 DOS partitions have a different ID (0x6) that is handled correct
from other drivers.

Tschuess
   ...Frank

--