Re: AW: [MiNT] drive letters (was: Kernal que

> > This concept does not work very well with MiNT (or MagiC), as the type of
> > the filesystem only depends on the mounted media. We need something more
> > flexible.
>
> I agree 100%, there's no point in adapting something just because it's "the
> way unix does it". There are already far better (i.e. not static like fstab)
> mecanisms in MiNT to detect filesystems.

Yes, but some people think that headless adapting to "modern" standars
is a Good Thing. I would suspect that this comes from thinking that our OS
is "worse" than other ones hence it needs "adapting".

MiNT is not "worse" or "better", than another OS. Its filesystem structure
is not "worse" or "better". It is just different. We do not need adapting
to Linux, because we do not develop Linux. We develop MiNT.

The position of wtmp file doesn't really matter. But it DOES matter, if it
is traditionally established by a most common distribution. Releasing an
incompatible distribution will end up with a situation, where most users
will have TWO wtmp files (just an example) because ports will appear for
both distriutions for some time. And paths are hardcoded in software.
Such a move can't be done before shared libs are done.

This will involve a fix to MiNTlibs, which will have to detect the
distribuion type. And MiNTlIbs are already far too big, as Julian pointed
out.

Martin Eric, you're trying to make a revolution. :) I know that your will
is good, but also a good will made almost all revolutions. And from my
point of view, all revolutions are Bad Things.

Yes, I am a conservative. I'll accommodate to the majority anyways, if it
truns over that I was wrong...

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
|mail: draco@mi.com.pl                  | Atari Falcon030/TT030/65XE |
|http://www.obta.uw.edu.pl/~draco/
|http://draco.atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.