Re: Syscall (was: Re: [MiNT] DATE/TIME cookies)

> > Who said "overwrite"? The stack would just have been appropriately bigger
> > (that's what i meant for memory waste). If MiNT has 8k stack, the user
> > stack space bigger by 8k would satisfy both user process and the system.
>
> You can't control how big the user stack is - a user program only needs to
> set up as much stack space as it needs, so you can assume that there are
> programs with very small stack (some of my do it that way - why waste
> space)?
>
> In that case, putting kernel data on the user stack *will* overwrite data,
> and you can't do anything about it, because it is outside your control.

Yes, user stack space is *always* outside our control. I meant that if
kernel used user stack space for own operations, the user program would
need 8k stack more (assuming current kernel stack is 8k). Hence the amount
of stack space "that a program needs" would be 8k bigger. Clear now?

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
|mail: draco@mi.com.pl                  | Atari Falcon030/TT030/65XE |
|http://www.obta.uw.edu.pl/~draco/
|http://draco.atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.