Re: [MiNT] 1.15.3b woes...

Hi Ronald J. Hall, on 12 Sep 99 you said:

 RJH> Joerg, I did this. I commented the "init=c:\multitos\init.prg"
 RJH> line out, and used "GEM=c:\n_aes\n_aes030.sys". Well, guess what?
 RJH> The latest beta kernel, 1.15.3b does work fine like this (note
    [---SNIP---]

It worked fine this way on my Hades but I went back to 1.15.2b because it
froze went I cut and pasted in Qed. Very unpleasant.

 RJH> However, I noticed some odd quirks. I lost vcons, and several
 RJH> apps such as TOSWIN and Jo Evens' TASKBAR "forgot" their usual
 RJH> settings. Also, I gained back a little over 2 megs of memory.
 RJH> And of course, all semblance of security is gone since it boots
 RJH> directly into Thing... <smile>

When you boot this way, you're root. Where is you home directory for root?
Certainely /home/root. (Look into /etc/passwd.) Either you copy your /home into
/home/root or you change the home directory for root to /home. (That's what I
did.) Taskbar must retrieve its configuration's file. ("Taskbar.inf" with a
mandatory capital "T".)

For TOSWin, I don't know, it still worked here at home when "my" Taskbar lost
its configuration file. Once, the "export TOSRUN=" line is set in N_AES.CNF, it
must work. At least, with Jinnee, it works.

Talking about security, AFAIK, N.AES has root priviledges. The secury breaches
are just like martian canyons (much wider than our tiny earthian ones).  ;-)  I
dropped most of the multi-user stuff when I got tired of sending silly messages
from one shell window to another.  :-)))

Any way, to fill (a tiny part of) the martian canyons, you can always add a
login for each time the shell is opened. That's better than nothing, at least.

 RJH> So...what should I do? I mean, I don't want to give up vcons.

I can't help you for Vcons which doesn't work on Hades.

See you later,

Remi Villatel
E-mail: maxilys@normandnet.fr