Re: [MiNT] getmntent

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 12:22:14PM +0200, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> Is there any way how to make the check of empty drive faster? BTW I
> thought all drives with removable medias contain a hardware detection that
> allow them to report "empty" state even without seeking with the heads for
> several seconds. Any chance our harddisk drivers wouldn't use such

At least CD-ROM drives should have difficulties - there is no special medium
sensor, so the drive really has to try to read something [1] (with the
associated timeouts) in order to be sure that there is no disc in the closed
tray - however, most drives seem to handle this quite fast. However, if yoou
just inserted a disk with many sessions, any access may take quite long.

cu
Michael

[1] Or at least try to lock the focus servo on the surface - but even this
may try for some seconds.
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen