Re: [MiNT] Best CAB.OVL for MiNT-Net?

on Thu 14-10-1999 20:10 Remi Villatel wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>First, thank to every one who helped me so far. It was hard but we succeeded.
>
>Now, the big question: What is the best CAB.OVL for MiNT-Net ?

184_SSL

>I tested versions 184 and 184_SSL. They both have a strange behavior. With the
>SSL version, CAB hangs when I try to quit...and sooner or later, I have to
>reset my Hades. The "plain" 184 version doesn't hangs but it has a strange way
>to handle the files. In fact, both version are strange. They re-load files that
>needn't to, refuse to load files that need to, and spend a lot of time to load
>very tiny files (in between 3 and a few hundreds of bytes)... and so on. I have
>so many problems with MiNT-Net that I'm starting to wonder why I want to drop
>I-Connect.

Since I've my Hades (some two years) I always have used Cab together with
the mintnet ovl and never have had serious problems. Sure some times
(rarely) Cab get killed but only Cab not the rest of the system.
The Hades is extremely vulnerable for the loading sequence of the autodir
prog. Adding a new autodir prog can be enough to make the whole system
unstable. Right now my system is very stable. Hardly a crash.

Furthermore if you don't use that splitram program it's recommended to
switch off the 'load alt' and 'Malloc alt' flags of every program, even
the flags of MiNT executables and drivers must be switch off. Don't ask me
why, I just don't know why. I just follow the advice of Bernd Ebert.

With Splitram you don't need to do that. Odd Skancke (oskancke@online.no)
has make a usefull utility called set_mmu (or something like that) which
makes it possible to use Memory protection and ST-TT RAM. You can define
the amount of ST RAM etc.
According to some this work but personnaly I never could make it work (I'm
not a smart guy). Ask Odd for more details.

>So, what am I supposed to do be happy with MiNT-Net?

Surely, why not?
BTW: you're not forced to use the MiNT-net ovl. With Gluestik you can use
the regular STiNG ovl or the Booklage ovl. Olivier Booklage is working on
SSL support.
Both works very well on my Hades with MiNT-net.

You can find these ovl's on the Belgian ftp-server
ftp://chapelie/rma.ac.be/atari/internet/cabovl
Gluestik is there also.

CU
Martin

--
O-Tagger ß1.24: Just hand over the chocolate and nobody will get hurt.
              ***** Greetings from Okami Newsreader *****