Re: [MiNT] UUCP problem

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Michael Schwingen wrote:

> > The other programs when they crash, always do so at the same or similar
> > address, in this case 12519C2 or 12519C6 by causing an illegal instruction
> > exception. This is independent of which program crashed or where it was
> > loaded (in this case sed, rm, bash and less all crashed about 1 minute
> > apart).
>
> Does this happen with or without memory protection?

Ok, about an hour after I wrote that last email, the problem occured while
memory protection was enabled.

This time the address was 12519CC and the error was illegal instruction
caused by bash (same sort of thing as before).

There had been no other kind of crash during this session but I had used
UUCP.

I will re-install the old version of UUCP to ensure that this is
definitely UUCP-related, but since the only thing that changed was that
UUCP was installed, I think it must be.

So what could possibly cause this kind of behaviour? It happens with or
without memory protection, and seemingly any number of different programs
will crash always at the same address, but quite at random. I.e. the
crashes occur perhaps 10% of the time that you run a given program.

Once a program is affected it seems to remain so, for example I was using
less quite a bit with no problems, but after it crashed in this way once,
it subsequently crashed almost every time it was invoked. Actually the
crashes didn't occur when less was invoked but when I used the spacebar to
view the next page.

I find it difficult to understand what kind of failure would make so many
different programs crash in exactly the same way.

| Mario Becroft           * Tariland, New Zealand Atari User Group      |
| mb@gem.win.co.nz        * Atari Hardware Developments:                |
| http://gem.win.co.nz/   * NEW: QWERTYX - PC AT Keyboard Interface     |