Re: [MiNT] New MiNT distribution is n.. ..pro

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 07:28:30PM +0200, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:

> What are you all trying to achieve?  To prove that, on paper, a
> 25 MHz Pentium is a better number crucher than a 25 MHz 68040?

Not only on paper. There *are* existing machines running Unix on a 68040 and
68060, so you can easily compare.

> HOWEVER, what does this have to do with a kernel meant for m68k,
> driving proprietary hardware, instead of generic ISA/PCI cards?

What new designed machine that you wish to run MiNT on uses non-PCI,
proprietary hardware?

> NOTE:  yes, the Hades and Milan have those, but the majority of
>        the platform is still ST/TT/Falcon (i.e. proprietary).

Yup. And a 80386-40 with a decent ISA VGA card will easily beat those. Even
my Pentium1-200 is faster than my TT on raw CPU speed than my TT using
TOS2WIN, so emulation is definitely feasible.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen