[MiNT] FreeMiNT history...

Hello Adam,

AK> This may be a bit unusual...

AK> Can someone tell me how exactly MiNT becomed opensource? Was it Atari
AK> decision, or there was just "leak" from laboratories?

AK> --
AK> Adam Klobukowski
AK> atari@gabo.pl

If I remember correctly, MiNT ("Mint is Not TOS") was
originally a project by Eric R. Smith ... and once he
got it going, he posted it and said others could work
on it if they wanted.

Atari apparently got ahold of it ... changed the name
of the acronym ("Mint is Now TOS") and adopted it.
I do not know if it's the same as MultiTOS or not.

MiNT is (apparently) based on FreeBSD Unix, which
explains why it is so robust and has so many unix-like
utilities and applications.

That's my best shot at an explanation!

George Crissman
strads@tmisnet.com