Re: [MiNT] desktop from components

Hi!

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 10:02:30AM +0200, Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
> > I see more a problem for the fork() and exec() calls, they are naturally
> > expensive system calls.
>
> Well, no solution has advantages only. However, on a faster machine,
> this wouldn't be a big problem. I actually saw something like that
> working on a NeXT - where even desktop clock executed /bin/date to get
> the current time - and it worked rather well.

Well, MiNT's fork() and exec() code is very slow - especially due
to the lack of virtual memory support. For example, running
a configure script on the Milan is still a lot slower than it was
on the 68030 based HP-UX machines I worked with some years ago.

For a start, do something like

time /bin/ls -lF /bin | wc

in a shell and compare the result with opening /bin in Thing,
jinnee or any other desktop. (Note: I haven't tested this, I only
assume the "winner" will be the desktop).

Ciao

Thomas

--
Thomas Binder (Gryf @ IRCNet)  gryf@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de