Re: [MiNT] Fpoll() in GEM programs

On Thursday 28 October 2004 08:55, Frank Naumann wrote:
> Hello!
>
> > A good AES application should have only 1 waiting point,
> > which is its central evnt_multi.
> >
> > My suggestion would be another event bit: MU_SELECT
> > and a direct response mode bit: MU_DIRECT_RESPONSE.
> > if the bit is set and there are no events, evnt_multi exits with
> > zero event. !!! Unless a timer event is set, in which case the app
> > is suspended until any event occurs (including of course timer).
> >
> > With MU_SELECT you have a way of getting filehandle or socket events
> > the AES way.
>
> I aggree with with you but I rather vote to introduce a new evnt_multi AES
> system call for that. Applications that are aware can use the new system
> call and there is no compatibility problem. Internally XaAES only need to
> wrap old evnt_multi to the new one. The new evnt_multi can also be
> designed a bit better in this case :-)

Yes, you are right.

I would call it evnt_omega ;-)
And I would also say that it could be designed immensely better.
It would be a good opportunity to extend the event mask to 32 bits.
The event data can then simply be passed as a structure
of 32 pointers to event data structures, each with plenty of
reserve.

To other people:
I agree that the GEM world must be kept completely separate
from the Unix world. This means especially: handle every interactivity
by typical GEM solutions. GEM must be kept consistent.
If you dont, why not just leave it and play Linux/Qt/Motif/Trolltech
KDE/GNOME/Tcl/Tck/X11/X12/X66 and whatever available on fast machines.

It is important that it is possible for a GEM program to do,
for instance, socket like things in a GEM way. This makes GEM
programs independent from a Unix background. Originally GEM was
designed to be platform independent. Keep it that way.

Some day, someone wants to port XaAES to a handheld
or a mobile phone or his HIFI centre. ;-)

Now XaAES is GPL and usable, dont hesitate to design new functions.
That's what it is all about, that's why I bothered to spend almost
3 years on it. I certainly didnt want to conserve a museum piece.

--
Groeten; Regards.
Henk Robbers.    mailto:h.robbers@chello.nl