Re: [MiNT] Problem with mint 1.16 installation

man, 13,.06.2005 kl. 10.13 -0400, skrev Standa Opichal:
> Hi! :)
>
> Odd Skancke wrote:
> >  Hello,
> >
> > fre, 10,.06.2005 kl. 14.34 -0700, skrev Standa Opichal:
> >
> >  Agreed it is a hack. Agreed this is not a good idea. Agreed this is not
> > a thing the AES should do by design. I have been saying that all along,
> > right?
>
> ok. Let's make the approach description clear then...

 What?

> > will work on any systems/architectures. The ideal situation would be for
> > such functionality to be available when the driver runs.
> >

> >>So the real solution you ET whatever problem is to fix/wrap the HW driver to
> >>do what is necessary. If there is no API for the particular thing (a VDI
> >>card video driver in this case) that the closest documented API level is to
> >>be fixed IMHO (the VDI, right?).
> >

> >  This is a problem most Hades owners (and all versions of the Nova VDI,
> > mach64, et6000 and Rage) suffers from, not just me. I did patch the et6k
> > driver to get rid of this problem, and it worked fine. However, patching
> > the video-driver like that will make it work only on 060 and compatible.
>
> And what is wrong with having it only 060 compatible? In my eyes this is
> definitely not an excuse to hack AES in such a way....
>
> >>That is just like the older NOVA HW driver on my friends TT doesn't have the
> >>VDI scrninfo() implemented. Would I patch HighWire to not to use this
> >>function or would I rather go and implement the VDI function for the single
> >>TT I have problem with?
> >
> >  I do not understand what you are saying here? Please explain?
>
> What would you do if a particular VDI driver you use (IIRC Matrix TT
> card) doesn't implement vq_scrninfo() method?
>    1) hack every application that is using that to not to
>    2) create AUTO TSR application that would hook on this and imlement
>      the function?
>
> I think that the only way to go is 2).

 What kind of a comparison is this? Install NVDI.

> >  If you think I added this for my own amusement,
>
> No, I would never even think about that. I just do not like hacks in new
> apps because of some other SW imperfections. TSR seems to be the right
> solution for me in this case. And so far I cannot think of any better.

 Well, then we disagree again. And I dont want to go any further with
this discussion because we do not understand eachother at all. Using a
TSR is really a hack!! There is a reason Ssystem() provides cache
control. I am starting to disagree with myself saying using Ssystem() is
a hack. XaAES uses cpush() in strategic places too ... a hack? You
talking about TSR tells me we have very different definitions of _clean
software_!

Odd Skancke