Re: [MiNT] WCOWORK operating mode

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:24:51 , Petr Stehlik <joy@sophics.cz> wrote:

> The real question is this: is current FreeMiNT/XaAES good enough to
> replace all remaining Atari systems at once? If it is, is it smart to
> force them to upgrade now? Of course we can loose some 30-60% of
> remaining Atari users but the benefits should outweight it, right? ;-)
>
> I am for setting up a deadline when all main GEM applications switch to
> some new powerful mode that will force users to upgrade to latest
> FreeMiNT and XaAES. Say August 31, this year? We've been waiting for
> this for a long time so these remaining 6 weeks should be enough for
> everybody to make the switch.
>
> Petr

First, I am not an OS developer and so I haven't uderstood all of
these threads.

As a user I look for an AES to support the key applications that
I use regularly. When I briefly tested Xaaes I tested the stuff that
I currently use under Naes 1.2 Some worked, some didn't.

That's not to say that Naes is perfect, there are several apps that
I have tried that don't work for whatever reason be it Mint, Naes or
just being a Milan.

There are a few reasons why I might not switch to a new aes:

1. if a key app that I currently use doesn't work
2. there are currently more old apps than there are likely to be
new ones and a new aes only supports a few old ones

I expect that improvements to the aes will be a benefit. I'd
be happy with simple things like being able to Tab between the
dialogue buttons like in aICQ.

I don't know if the cut&paste clipboard is an aes thing but it
would be nice if it's use was more widespread.

Lastly, I know it's not aes but I'd also like to to see USB
support somewhere in the OS.

Sorry if I am a bit off topic.

Regards,

Peter