Re: [MiNT] WCOWORK operating mode

tor, 14,.07.2005 kl. 21.55 +0200, skrev Peter Slegg:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:24:51 , Petr Stehlik <joy@sophics.cz> wrote:
> >
> > The real question is this: is current FreeMiNT/XaAES good enough to
> > replace all remaining Atari systems at once? If it is, is it smart to
> > force them to upgrade now? Of course we can loose some 30-60% of
> > remaining Atari users but the benefits should outweight it, right? ;-)
> >
> > I am for setting up a deadline when all main GEM applications switch to
> > some new powerful mode that will force users to upgrade to latest
> > FreeMiNT and XaAES. Say August 31, this year? We've been waiting for
> > this for a long time so these remaining 6 weeks should be enough for
> > everybody to make the switch.
> >
> > Petr
>
> First, I am not an OS developer and so I haven't uderstood all of
> these threads.
>
> As a user I look for an AES to support the key applications that
> I use regularly. When I briefly tested Xaaes I tested the stuff that
> I currently use under Naes 1.2 Some worked, some didn't.

 I would be very interested in knowing which apps didnt work. If they
are possible to make work, I'll give it an attempt. The design of XaAES
is quite different from other AES's, so making ALL things work will not
be possible. Especially if the problem-apps do illegal things. Also keep
in mind that some apps are N.AES only, and that N.AES gives pointers to
its internal structures for such apps to use. These will never work on
XaAES.

> That's not to say that Naes is perfect, there are several apps that
> I have tried that don't work for whatever reason be it Mint, Naes or
> just being a Milan.
>
> There are a few reasons why I might not switch to a new aes:
>
> 1. if a key app that I currently use doesn't work

 If a key app dont work, please tell us about it. And if you know some
user who wont switch because of such apps, tell him to tell us which one
it is :-)

> 2. there are currently more old apps than there are likely to be
> new ones and a new aes only supports a few old ones

 Yes, this is true. So any transitions to new features have to be taken
gradually and not wham! that is! :)

> I expect that improvements to the aes will be a benefit. I'd
> be happy with simple things like being able to Tab between the
> dialogue buttons like in aICQ.

 A list of users wishes would be most useful. Anyone up for that task?

> I don't know if the cut&paste clipboard is an aes thing but it
> would be nice if it's use was more widespread.

 Agreed.

> Lastly, I know it's not aes but I'd also like to to see USB
> support somewhere in the OS.

 Very much like that too ;-)

> Sorry if I am a bit off topic.

 No, this is not offtopic (at least I dont think so). Such user input is
what we need.

 Best Regards
Odd Skancke