Re: [MiNT] WCOWORK operating mode

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 22:57 -0400, Lonny Pursell wrote:
> This is true, the libs contained lineA calls and so on.
> However, all that has been patched and removed.

I know they eventually fixed it.  There is also an X-Windows version
these days that is open source.  Almost 100% compatible with GFA, so you
can run old GFA apps in X.

> That is true for all languages not just GFA.  I have plenty of old apps that
> are made with "C" that simply do not follow simple guides lines and it's

I used to argue over and over with people about that.

> most unfortunate that I can't run them on my 060.  Well, or even my TT for
> that matter in the larger resolutions. Stuff like the cyber series, degas,
> stuff that was actual commercial software.

I believe this is one of the things that eventually helped lead to the
death of the system.

> Mind you I'm not arguing, just wish to further clarify your point.  You can
> hand someone that latest gcc and dev tools and they could still crank out an
> app that don't behave well.  Documentation is critical now days.

I definately agree with you.  I was always so frustrated since GEM
documentation was relatively easy to find in those days since original
DRI documentation was available.  Right down to people saying that you
couldn't wait for either a left or right click (and Atari Compendium
even said this!  I sent in a bug report over it).  When I told people
that you can just pass in the current mouse state and set a NOT flag and
always get an event for any change in mouse state, they didn't believe
me, but it was well documented by DRI.  At least the Compendium Errata
corrected it.