Re: [MiNT] Re[2]: GEM boost

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 01:20 +0200, Maurits van de Kamp wrote:
> > I hate
> > to break it to you, but MiNT is an RPM based system - and seeing as how
> > it's our future, Atari is too ;-)
>
> We were talking about religions earlier, and in some religions "rpm" is a
> dirty word. ;o) (Not in mine though).
>
> There was a DEB-based MiNT distro as well, but I'm not sure if it's still
> being updated. I've never been able to figure out what the fuss against rpm
> and in favor of deb is about though.. sure apt is nice, but that's a
> frontend, not the package manager.
>
> Maurits.

I prefer RPM though I can't put my finger on why.  I feel it's more
straightforward to work with.  Debian mint has been pretty dead for a
long time and had no proper installer really.  I never got it working
right.  Easymint jump started mint for me and the sparemint
distribution, although stagnating for many months now, is as well
maintained as it gets.  I plan to start doing more ports soon, but I
feel it's a waste until we get VM and shared libs.

Thanks,
Mark