Re: [MiNT] Re[2]: GEM boost

evan@coolrunningconcepts.com wrote:
Quoting josephus <dogbird@earthlink.net>:

I recognized that we got into this mess because we were porting tools.
compilers, linkers, utilities.  The GNU part of Linux.   My Linux, Slack

I don't mind a GNU/MiNT, but I would also like the non-Unix people to be able to use MiNT as well. I don't want to see a situation where RPM and dynamic link
dependencies are used for all software.

9.0 and I can now extract RPMS I could not before.  Last time I looked I
had 3.5.  Dependency HELL, yep.

I use a script called rpm2tgz (or something like that) - it converts the
information from the RPM to something I can worth with. Normally I don't need to bother with it all since Gentoo's portage is relatively complete, but the RPMs for Atari weren't available in anything but RPM format, and I was trying
to install them to make a build system.  Since I was installing them into a
cross-compiler environment and not to a native system, I'd either have to build RPM and pass a new --root to rpm and generate an RPM database for nothing, or
just convert them.  I chose the latter.

Slackware uses TGZ.  It works like a champ.  RPM is just not useful on
my Linux box.

From a system administrative stand-point tar.gz isn't the greatest since no
record is kept of what was installed where or what version.  Dependency
tracking is next to non-existant which is where I think your problem comes
from. Gentoo even stores the time/date stamp and md5sum of all files so your
portage database can be used for system checks.

I still have a working Mega4 and I still have all those versions of GCC.
  I even installed 2.22 under mint. It does not work either.   I think
there is something I should put into the environment but I do not know
what that is.

2.22 is kinda old. I think it just needs to be in your PATH - if you tell me what the error is, I could probably tell you. I actually had GCC running on my
old STe a long time ago.  Even found GCC for my 3b2!

I have the message where M68000 was no longer supported.  I dont think
it was ever supported or if it was I never understood.

Hmm .. who's not supporting it?  GCC still has a target for m68000 and all
related targets.  Including the CPU32 systems and Coldfire systems.

  Mint is not supporting 68000. I have the email where they said so.
There are no longer 68000 mint versions available. If they changed their mind I never saw it.

I have heard that lots of people had it working. I never got it work

basicly I started with 1.41 and moved to 2.22 as the last one. 1.41 will give back gcc -v . 2.22 will not. I think there is something I need to put into the environment for gcc to find things or even to know where its parts are. I have put them in my path but it still does not work.

by the way, I tried to install 2.95 under Linux but GCC was not installed. It just doesn't appear in the system. TAR -TVF will show it but it does not I generated a 68kcross compiler but it targets Motorola not mit. probably my fault. The weird part is that I have to have a 68k lib before I can compile libs. I then discovered that the LD is not compatible even with the mint libs. sigh. I would fix it if I could guess what was wrong. But I cant compile without a library.

Just for the record though Bison is broken 2.0a will not generate a valid parsers for a non error LR grammar. It does not work. Flex works like a champ and generates a scanner. Flex and the grammar are sane. Bison is not. this was a Linux gripe.
               josephus

--
Everybody is Ignorant, just on different subjects.
         --- Will Rogers Jr.