Re: [MiNT] wind_set(WF_TOPMOST)

Hello Odd

Hi Olivier,

tor, 13,.04.2006 kl. 11.25 +0200, skrev Olivier Landemarre:
Hello Odd

No restrictions, except can't have keyboard focus for this windows (application can have focus, but for AES no focus is put for application thanks this window). I have not put restrictions, and applications can have more than one in the same time (of course one will be above the other! but all this windows will be above other).

I dont quite agree here. I think that this feature should be reserved
for system-applications only, such as a taskbar/manager, etc.
How do you define system-application? For example taskbar is a simple gem application for me.

Normal
applications should use normal windows, the AES provides for
alerts/popups already via form_popup/menu_popup/form_alert etc. A better
route would be to extend these calls to be non-app-blockable.
I not see relation with this feature. This is a feature existing in most modern system, most of time to display some messages for a short time (ex amorok on X11). I agree alerts, popup should be able to be non locking, but it's an other problem (should be solve with AES message as some alternative file selector do (not as Magic do! I can't remember name of this file selector)).

wind_set(WF_TOP) or wind_set(WF_BOTTOM) have no effects at this time, but perhaps I could change this, but window can't receive WM_TOPPED and WM_BOTTOMED at this time, do you think it's need? I think it should be possible change order beetween all TOPMOST windows, I have not think about this possibility before I write this. What do you think about this? need or not?

What you are proposing here is a second fully-working window-stack.
This is indeed necessary for this implementation, but applications must
not have the same access to this stack as to the normal-window-stack.
That would lift the whole purpose of 'floating' windows, I think, as you
could end up with a second 'layer' of windows only. So, no, I do not
think these windows should be WF_TOP/BOTTOM controllable by
applications. I think we need to sit down and clearly define what we
need these windows for, and define their use properly before rushing
into implementation that will bring us headache later on.
Yes. But I think actual implementation I done, let an aes, to manage in the way it wan't, here this is only a flag to put a window in a specific way, after you can choose or not to control TOP and BOTTOM. I can do this probably, but perhaps it's not need!

The 'floating' window is, as you say, very useful for taskbars, etc.,
but imagine what happens if all apps can have 'floating' windows...
system-apps like taskbars, etc, loose again.

I think near never application use it only for a very specific use, this is possible on other system, and I have not see some abuse of this. In the way I have implement it, application have nothing more to do than the software already do. I have a way to force this mode for all windows an application open and test it on Ztask, I not notice any trouble with this.

Anyone else have opinions on this matter?

Yes, need opinion.

Best Regards,
Odd Skancke
Olivier